Friday, December 12, 2008

20. Say, "Thank you" a lot

I say "thank you" a LOT.  Whenever we're at a restaurant, I say thank you every time the server brings anything, even if it's not for me - really, every time.  It's not something that I force myself to do - it's a conditioned response.  When I was growing up, my parents, the parents at church, my teachers, and even television taught me that it was polite to thank people when they do something for you.  What in the world is happening to today's children?  I can't remember how many times I've done things/given things to students (Kumon and college alike) and not received a thank you in response.  It's not that I do these things for the thanks itself, I really don't.   But I do expect the thanks to be given nevertheless - as a courtesy, as an acknowledgement.  Perhaps it's just the way I was raised.  But you know what, I don't even think it's that the parents are now neglecting to instill these habits, per se.  Nay, I believe that society as a whole is not thanking enough and is therefore not really instilling the importance of being grateful for services rendered.  

A friend actually complained that I said "thank you" too much to servers.  No offense to this friend, but excuse me?  I say thank you too much?  I don't think I say thank you enough!  I don't think this friend says thank you enough!  You probably don't say thank you enough!  For all the things that we have to be grateful for, for the fact that we are being served by a fellow human being - it should warrant thanks, not ill appreciated expectations.  Sure, it's their job.  But don't you think it makes them feel appreciated?  As a teacher, I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it feels when, at the end of a quarter, your students come up to you and thank you for helping them with their writing, thank you for taking the time to teach them, and thank you for taking the time to care about them.  It's so rewarding and it makes my efforts worthwhile!

One of my greatest hopes for the future generations is that a trend of gratitude and of humility will once again rise to the majority.  No more feelings of entitlement.  We are not entitled to good service.  We are not entitled to good education.  We are not entitled to being catered to when other people are waiting.  Rather, we are all equally fighting to earn these rights, servers and customers alike.  We are all in a position where we should be striving to uplift one another, not expect someone to dust our shoes.  I realize society imposes a hierarchy on us, but must we really fall prey to it?  What makes me better than the server at McDonalds?  Sure, I have had more opportunities for an education (and there's juuuust a slight chance that I maaaay have a bit more penchant for learning), but that doesn't really make me any better.  Not really.  Not in the grand scheme of things.  Especially not to God...

So, to wrap this Little Life Instruction up, say "thank you" a lot.  Your life (and the life of the person who you're thanking) will be enriched for it.  Imagine if we lived in a world where no one thanked anyone for anything.  How incredibly cynical and jaded would we all end up?  Something to think about...
~~~
On a side note, I also say "bless you" to people when they sneeze  ALL THE TIME, even strangers.  It's not forced - it's an automatic response.   I also get amazingly irked if I'm not thanked for it.  I'll say "you're welcome" in an incredibly snarky and condescending voice.  Well, ok, so maybe not always snarky and condescending, but I will say "you're welcome" to point out your shortcoming.  So thank me the next time I bless you when you sneeze.  :)  Please.
~~~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm.... i hope i'm the "friend" who told you that you said thank you too much. if i am, my deepest, sincerest apologies. god, i hope not. *fingers crossed*

ps. blogging at 7:04 AM? sad, yet impressive. :)

esther said...

thanks for the reminder. but i think i also say thanks all the time. but there is nothing wrong with it. but don't get mad if people don't say "thank you" back. you just keeping saying thank you and maybe they'll catch on. and i am impressed that you are blogging so early in the morning.

thanks for keeping me entertained! keep it up! yay!

Anonymous said...

Did i ever tell you my most embarrassing story ever!? Ask me next time you see me. Let me just say that automatically saying "thank you" isn't always great...

No, Yeah it is, unless you're me.