Sunday, March 15, 2009

1. Sing in the Shower

Who loves karaoke?!!  I do!  I do!

I know that I don't have a great voice.  Although I sometimes lead out with praise, it's not because of my vocal talents, that much I'm sure of.  (I think I might make a semi-decent backup singer, but definitely not a soloist.)  But when it comes to singing in the shower and singing karaoke, it really doesn't matter, does it?!  As long as your heart is in it (and not too many people can hear you), just belt it out!

My friends Stephanie and Andrew recently purchased American Idol Encore 2 for PS3 and oh.  my.   It's quite fun!  There are many options to the game - solo career, starting from Auditions, going to Hollywood Week, all the way to the Recording studio and concerts!  In the solo career option, you also get to be judged by Simon, Paula, and Randy!  We didn't get to that part of the game, but it would definitely be interesting to see.

You can also sing duets, which can be baaaaaaad if you don't know the harmony (or if you're both singing the melody, but not in tune with each other!!!)  The highlight of my American Idol Karaoke experience was not when Darcy and Stephanie sang Aaron Neville's "I Don't Know Much" (twice!), but rather when Stephanie and I reverted back to our teenage personas and sang "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls.  Not to stroke my own ego, but I was bad-ass at the rap part!  hahaha  Oh it was quite fun.

***

I wondered why number one of Life's Little Instructions was to sing in the shower.  I guess you can take it a couple of ways.  

1)  Take the opportunities, even the ones like while you're in the shower, to do things that can make you happy and boost your spirits.  Even if you're not the best singer, you always sound like a rockstar in the bathroom, don't you?

2)  Let go of your inhibitions - those things that will hold you back.  Life is meant to be lived.  Practice in the shower, move to the karaoke games in your friend's living room, and then go further from there!  Don't let fear keep you from experiencing new things.

If you can lose those inhibitions and learn how to do something simple like singing in the shower, then the following instructions will be easier for you to handle!  

Perhaps, perhaps.  




2 comments:

Darcy said...

I believe the correct term to describe you and Steph's version of "Wannabe" would be "adaptation." While this was a moment of great vocal creativity on both of your parts, I am offended that you did not mention our rendition of "Islands in the Stream," which was quite stirring.

esther said...

like your post. sounds like you had fun. let go of your inhibitions, cindy...hahaha. don't hold back!