Monday, August 18, 2008

The Bin Nazi


I recently rewatched an episode of Coupling that centers around laughter (the Giggle Loop).  The basic premise is that at the most inappropriate times (like at a funeral), just when you think I really shouldn’t laugh, a giggle forms and struggles to escape and the pressure builds and builds until you can’t contain it any longer.  I experienced this while waiting in line at the airport.  


For some reason, there were only three security lines and at least three hundred people waiting to get through.  There was a family with three kids in front of me, and the TSA agent was insane.  From hereon out, I’d like to refer to her as...the Bin Nazi.


She displaced this family from one line into ours.  She then, under the guise of speeding things along, proceeded to forcibly shove them forward to keep the line moving.  Every time they paused, she’d say “go ahead, you can move forward.”  She was quite relentless.  When the kids started to put their stuff into bins, she’d come out of nowhere again and say, “you using too many bins.  You don’t need to use bin for that.  Don’t use too many bins” and she actually took bins away from them.  Imagine standing in line, hearing over and over again,


“You don’t need bin for that.”

“Sir, you don’t need bin for that.”

“You’re using too many bins.”

“If your bag move, you move.”

“Don’t use extra bin.”


I couldn’t help it.  It was dead quiet in the airport except for the Bin Nazi, and I couldn’t help it.  I started to giggle and the more I tried to hold it back the harder it became to do so until I started to full out laugh.  I’m sure the people standing in line thought I was crazy.  But that’s okay because I know that the crazy person was actually the Bin Nazi. 


So let this be a lesson to you guys - don’t use too many bins at the airport or the Bin Nazi will come after you!!!

No comments: